Share your Passion for Hospitality
The host family plays a unique and vital role in the international student experience. While providing a safe environment for students to live in, host families often help to bridge the cultural gap that students experience.
We make sure hosts are genuinely interested in welcoming students to the USA and helping their guests become acquainted with the American way of life.
Benefits to Hosting an International Student
Earn a Monthly Income
Host families are given a generous monthly stipend to offset living costs of the international student.
Impact a Student's Life
Develop meaningful relationships that continue long after the student returns home.
We also handle billing and pay you directly, on time, via direct deposit.
Make a Difference
Change the world by playing an important part in helping a young student achieve his or her dream.
We'll match you with students who we think would be most compatible with your family.
FAQs about Hosting International Students
Homestay is where an international student stays in a properly managed hosted accommodation environment for a period of their study in a new country.
A homestay gives an international student the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in American culture by living in a warm and welcoming American household, rather than in an impersonal apartment, dorm or hotel.
The host family plays a unique and vital role in the international student experience. Host families provide a safe and welcoming environment, support and often help to bridge the cultural gap that students experience.
The host family's role is not to replace the student’s natural family. International students stay closely connected with their family and friends in their home country – often on a daily basis. The host family needs to respect the student’s culture and native family while also helping them to adjust to the home and culture they are currently living in.
- We are the most recognized global homestay provider for international students, with a full-service approach to hosting.
- We know exactly who is staying with you and what their background is.
- We provide support 24 hours a day in case there is a problem or emergency.
- We handle billing and pay you directly, on time, via direct deposit.
- We give you training on cultural understanding and how to help students and your family enjoy the hosting experience.
Traditional families, non-traditional families, single people, roommates and friends living together – any person or group who is willing to share daily life with an international student can be a host!
We want our pool of host families to include a wide spectrum of families – families with different religious beliefs, ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds.
We do not exclude any families who believe they can be amazing hosts.
As an SRS Concierge homestay host you must:
- Make yourself and your home available to your student. Our hosts must be able to provide a clean, comfortable and private bedroom.
- Hosts must speak clear and correct English in the home.
- Help your student settle into a comfortable and safe home and help them to learn. Be willing to make them feel at home with conversation, support, inclusion in family activities and personal warmth. Ideally, you’ll have a sincere interest in other cultures and a desire to connect with new friends from around the world.
- Provide healthy food for your student if this is included in their service.
- Show your student around the community to help them become familiar with the local area and custom.
- Help your student access or organize important services (e.g. setting up a bank account and mobile) and assist your student to seek medical or dental attention if necessary.
- Pass and maintain criminal background checks.
For full details and requirements, see our SRS Concierge Host Agreement, SRS Concierge Host Family Code of Conduct and SRS Concierge Host Family Standards of Student Care.
The initial host family application is a capture of basic personal and household information that should take only about 10-15 minutes to complete. The full process is outlined below:
- Complete the online application (10-15 minutes)
- Submit quality photos of your home and family
- Receive your welcome email
- Complete your online profile / submit banking info for payment
- Take the online training and self-assessment (under 1 hour)
- Schedule your home interview with your Host Manager
- Submit and wait for background checks to come back
- You are ready to host!
We do advise you to take your time crafting the profile to ensure we get the best student matches possible.
We know that overhead costs and maintenance expenses can rise as a result of introducing a new temporary member to your family. For this reason, we provide an agreed upon stipend to cover these expenditures.
All hosts receive direct deposit hosting stipends every 2 weeks. The amounts vary based on:
- What meals and amenities you provide
- Your location relative to the school
- The cost of housing in your area
- The age of the student.
We provide payments in a 2-week cycle because it means you get paid more frequently and always for the exact number of days you host. For a more in depth overview of payments, please contact your local SRS Concierge office and they will be more than happy to assist you.
For more information regarding payments, please see the SRS Concierge Host Reimbursement Policy.
Families will be issued a 1099 at the end of each tax year. Families should keep a close record of any expenditures for hosting and give it to their tax advisor.